Golden Hour - At home with your Jute Rug
April 30, 2018
Its golden, soft, warm and dimensional. Shadows are longer and more interesting, the light is diffused and hazy, it adds a new layer to your home. That magical moment is when your Jute rug is iridescently glowing in the golden hour light.
Jute is a natural, plant based fiber. This golden fiber is incredibly soft underfoot, whilst also being robust, sturdy and supportive. Jute lends itself to a natural home, a classic that adds beautiful raw texture to a space whilst being easy to maintain.
The magic of this incredible jute yarn is it’s warm golden hue, created from this plant based fibre drying in the warm Indian sun.
Our Jute is grown sustainably in West Bengal. Growing best in a wet, humid environment when the jute is ready to harvest it can be up to 3.5 meters high. The fiber lies beneath the bark around the woody core. To extract the fiber, bundles of Jute plant are submersed in water and left for a few days. The hard surround breaks down in the water and away from the core. They are then washed and dried in the nearby river. Once dried the Jute is brushed to take away any of the rough outer layer that is still attached so you are left with fine golden strands of the fiber. These are then weaved through the looms.
Suggestions of how to unwind on your Jute rug
- Your pets will always find the perfect spot on the rug in that direct sunlight lying on their backs, eyes closed soaking up the rays begging at the same time for a belly scratch.
- A place to recharge. After a long day at work curling up on your jute rug and letting go of the day, digging our toes into the Jute and getting the last of the days golden hues.
- The jute rug becomes the busiest place in the house, the kids build towers and cities with their blocks
- By the fire on a cold winter night, the Jute rug reflects the glow of a warm open fire with a glass of red wine
- A moment of peace lets you find your spot on the rug to have a cup of tea and read a magazine.
- Finding that perfect place to hang your favourite jumper on the clothes horse
Explore our Jute Rugs here